Solar Installer Selected Via Competitive Bidding;
Opportunity to Enroll in Unique Group-Purchasing Discount Now Underway
Durham, NC – The Triangle Sustainability Partnership, a newly formed local government partnership of 11 communities, will publicly launch its regionwide community-based group-buying program - Solarize the Triangle - on Aug. 10. Residents and businesses will be able to save on the ordinary cost of solar energy and battery power through the program’s combined purchasing with others across the Triangle and through the availability of a federal tax credit.
The initiative is designed to assist residents, businesses, and nonprofits to become more resilient, reduce energy expenses, and save on the cost of renewable-energy systems by obtaining volume discounts on materials and installation services. Solarize campaigns are driven by community group purchasing and a tiered “bulk” purchasing concept. The more residents and business owners who contract for solar installations through the program, the more savings accrue for all participants.
The public is invited to join the celebratory launch from 6 to 8 p.m. at the North Carolina Museum of Art, located at 2110 Blue Ridge Road in Raleigh, and learn more about the solar-energy options available to residents, businesses, and non-profit organizations.
This celebration will feature:
- Representatives from the Partnership that developed and support Solarize the Triangle;
- Experts in solar energy from the locally selected installer company chosen via competitive bidding;
- Live music and painting by Little Red Birds. A portion of proceeds from the evening’s event art-auction sales will be dedicated to supporting solar energy for qualified low-income families;
- Details about the benefits of solar energy and battery storage; and
- How one can enroll for a free solar-energy assessment of their residence or place of business through Solarize the Triangle.
Following the community celebration, the partnership will schedule and offer a series of clean-energy education and outreach events with a goal of increasing participation through a better understanding of rooftop solar components, suitability assessment considerations, and contract provisions.
Solarize the Triangle is also accepting advance registrations for the upcoming campaign. Interested residents may go to solarizethetriangle.com to learn more about the program and sign up in advance of the launch to be first in line for a free evaluation.
INSTALLER SELECTED THROUGH RIGOROUS VETTING PROCESS
The Triangle Sustainability Partnership carefully chose a qualified firm to ensure best-in-class materials are installed by qualified solar professionals for the lowest price through volume purchasing. Detailed criteria for selecting the company were used by the Partnership to choose the installer, which is Cary-based Yes Solar Solutions.
“Yes Solar Solutions is thrilled to have been chosen as the installation partner to bring solar to local communities with a unique grassroots concept supported by 11 different NC jurisdictions,” said Stew Miller, Co-Founder and President. “Our experience working with nonprofits to bring similar Solarize programs to local communities gives us a deep respect and familiarity with the concept and results of Solarize. The goal is to bring high-quality solar to as many people as possible at a fair and transparent price. It’s exciting that the more people who sign up the more everyone’s price goes down.”
ABOUT SOLARIZE THE TRIANGLE
Solarize the Triangle is a campaign developed by the Triangle Sustainability Partnership. Communities involved include Chatham, Durham, and Orange counties; the cities of Durham and Raleigh; and the towns of Apex, Cary, Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, and Morrisville. The Triangle J Council of Governments and Solar Crowdsource are facilitating the launch.
The objectives of the regional program include:
- Making solar energy more affordable: lower the cost of solar energy through the power of group-purchasing and reduced acquisition costs. Savings passed to residents of the Triangle region;
- Making solar energy more accessible: contractor(s), materials and pricing will be highly vetted for best practices using a competitive bid process;
- Education and community engagement: widespread community engagement, education and outreach activities through town hall meetings, workshops, solar “open house” gatherings, and outreach through local community groups and events;
- Promoting solar-positive policies: encourage local governments to adopt streamlined solar energy permitting policies and fair utility distributed generation policies; and
- Giving back: Solarize the Triangle and selected contractors will use a portion of campaign proceeds to donate a solar energy system to a deserving local nonprofit organization and/or help to underwrite solar-energy systems for qualified low- and moderate-Income families with high energy burdens.
Helping to facilitate the program on behalf of the members is Solar Crowdsource.
About Yes Solar Solutions: Yes Solar Solutions provides solar energy consulting and premium-quality solar power system installation services to homeowners, businesses, nonprofits, municipalities, and government and military agencies throughout the Carolinas. A certified Green Plus company, and the first NABCEP-accredited company on the East Coast and the only one in the Carolinas, Yes Solar Solutions was founded 13 years ago in Cary by owners Stew and Kathy Miller. With more than 1,600 projects installed, the company is a fully-licensed NC general contractor and a past winner of the Cary Chamber of Commerce Sustainable Small Business of the Year Award.